A Sunday Times article of 5 June 1904 titled ‘Publican and Sinner. Magisterial Mandarins at Maylands. Job of James. State Hotels illegal.’ has an image of this building captioned ‘New hotel erected by brewery’.
This two-storey Federation/Classical freestyle design building was built for the Swan Brewery.
It is believed to have been the first hotel in Maylands.
It also appears to have been known at some point as Central Coffee Palace.
Our earliest photograph of this building dates from around 1908 and was donated by Mrs J Moore (nee Bardon).
This building operated as a hotel until 1940, when it became a residential boarding house.
The verandahs shown in the early photographs of this building were removed in the 1940-50s.
Central House now houses a number of businesses.
For more information
See our Central House Flickr Album for digitised images and other digitised information.