Maylands hosted the first official aerodrome in the Perth metropolitan area. That aerodrome catered to all forms of aviation from civil aviation to international aviation.
The Maylands Aerodrome was established in 1924 as the Perth base for Australia’s first commercial airline, West Australian Airways, which flew from Perth to Derby twice a week.
When the aerodrome flooded in 1926, flying operations of WA Airways had to be shifted to a Swan Valley vineyard for many days.
The first commercial production of aircraft in Western Australia took place at the Maylands Aerodrome in the 1920s.
During the 1930s, thousands of people came to the aerial pageants at the aerodrome.
Until lighting equipment was installed in 1937, flares were used to aid navigation at night.
Until 1938, the RAAF used Maylands Aerodrome.
During World War II, the Aerodrome had a considerable civilian workforce repairing airframes and aircraft engines.
After WWII, Guildford Airport became Perth’s main airport and the Maylands Aerodrome was used by firm operating charter flights and cropdusting/cropspraying operations.
The Royal Aero Club was based at Maylands until the late-1950s.
The Maylands Aerodrome operated until 1963.
The Police Complex and the Peninsula Golf course now occupy the site of the Maylands Aerodrome.
Aerodrome Park at Maylands opened in 2012 to commemorate the Maylands Aerodrome and the people, organisations, planes and events associated with it.
See our Maylands Aerodrome Flickr album for digitised images and other digitised information.