The chimney of the Maylands Brickworks is a local landmark.
In 1927, the first Hoffman kiln and plant built at this brickworks was producing 7 million wire-cut bricks a year.
By 1936, output had doubled thanks to the development of a second plant.
The brickworks ceased operation in 1982. It remains the only Hoffman kiln in Western Australia and one of four in Australia.
The brickworks has long been off-limits to the public.
See our Maylands Brickworks Flickr Album for digitised images and other digitised information