The opening of Maylands Hall resulted from two years of concerted effort and lobbying by the Maylands Progress Association (forerunner of the Maylands Residents and Ratepayers Association).
The 1920 competition held to design the building stipulated that the total cost for the land and building should not exceed 3,000 pounds.
The hall was officially opened on 17 May 1921 by E W Hamer, the Chairman of the Perth Road Board.
The Maylands Hall has hosted card games, dances and other functions.
In 1921, Maylands Hall hosted a Sacred Concert in connection with the unveiling of the Maylands War Memorial.
In 1930, the Perth Road Board Unemployment Relief Committee met in the Maylands Hall and a concert party from Blackboy Camp gave an entertainment in the Maylands Hall.
In the 1930s, the Maylands Branch of the Ugly Men’s Association held euchre parties at the Maylands Hall.
In the 1940s, St Luke’s Anglican Church hosted dances at the Maylands Hall to raise money for the war effort
n 1941, the Maylands R.S.L. held a dance at the Maylands Hall.
In the 1940s, the Maylands Branch of the Red Cross played cards in the supper room of the Maylands Hall on Tuesday afternoons.
In 1944, the Maylands Branch of the Red Cross held a leap year dance at the Maylands Hall and celebrated its fifth anniversary with an afternoon tea there.
In 1945, the Maylands Branch of the Red Cross held a fete and a fancy dress ball at the Maylands Hall
1970s to present
In 1971, Maylands Hall was the only public hall in the City of Stirling.
Maylands Hall once housed the Maylands library now located within The RISE.
Maylands Hall is now home to the WA Youth Jazz Orchestra (WAYJO).
For more information
See our Maylands Hall Flickr Album for digitised images and other digitised information