When the Maylands Primary School on the southern side of Guildford Road between Peninsula Road and Sixth Avenue opened in 1903, it had only a single classroom. Additional classrooms and building were added between 1904 and 1916.
Classrooms of the 1915 Infants School opened onto wide verandahs.
In 1917, the Maylands public school had a magnificent, jarrah honour board, carrying just under 500 names of local residents ‘who considered their country before their convenience’. This board was erected by the Perth Road Board which decided the school was the best place for such a record.
The centenary of this heritage building was celebrated by its many distinguished past pupils and teachers in 2003.
The building is listed on the State Register of Heritage Places.
See our Maylands Primary School Flickr Album for digitised images and other digitised information.