Maylands Station is located 4.5 kilometres from Perth Station on the Midland Line. The Eastern railway from Fremantle to Guildford that opened in March 1881 offered a transport system far superior to the colonial roads.
The 1899 Maylands Railway Station site plan shows the station master’s house. Although the original tender was for Falkirk Station, the station’s name was changed to Maylands before being gazetted.
Maylands Railway Station’s Parcels Office (also known as the Maylands Station House) was built by A. Davenport in 1899 and officially opened in February 1900. This building operated as a post office and a ticket office which sold rail tickets.
Rail travel rapidly overtook the river as a major factor influencing the growth of Maylands and transport of its people and goods.
In 1928, repairs were made to the Maylands Railway Station.
In 1993, a Maylands Station Study was prepared by Chris Antill Planning and Urban Design and Considine & Griffiths Architects Pty Ltd.
The Maylands Parcels Office is listed on the State Register of Heritage Places.
For more information
See our Maylands Railway Station Flickr Album for digitised images and other digitised information.