John Henry Gregory, his wife and five children moved to on Allotment Y on the Swan River between Perth and Guildford in the 1830s. The area became known as Pineapple Bay, because Gregory managed to grow a pineapple he had bought with him from England.
Gregory created the Pineapple Inn on Guildford Road and sold it in 1839.
In 1840, the Pineapple Inn and adjacent farms were advertised for lease.
Killowen was built on land that once formed part of the Pineapple Estate.
See our Pineapple Estate Flickr Album for digitised images and other digitised information