The current Seventh Avenue Bridge is the second bridge constructed over the railway line at Seventh Avenue, Maylands. The earlier bridge was listed as heritage place 9861.
History of this bridge
The original Seventh Avenue Bridge was designed in 1911 by E. Light, the Western Australian Government Railways Chief Engineer
Building of the Rail and Traffic Bridge at the corner of Seventh Avenue and Whatley Crescent, Maylands
The Seventh Avenue Bridge caught fire.
The Seventh Avenue Bridge caught fire in 1931 and 1932 and was also vandalised in 1932.
A portion of the bridge fell down in 1933.
When the bridge was upgraded in 1934, its gravel was replaced with bitumen.
In 1954, the timber Seventh Avenue Bridge was extensively modified. Concrete columns and structural steel were added
Further repairs were made to the Seventh Avenue Bridge.
This Bridge was listed on the Municipal Inventory adopted on 17 June 1997 by the City of Bayswater.
It was decided that this Registered Heritage Place did not warrant assessment.
The Seventh Avenue Bridge was totally replaced. Artwork was commissioned to commemorate the earlier bridge.
Artwork commemorating the earlier bridge included plans and photographs
26 Jarrah beams salvaged from the Seventh Avenue Bridge became seating at Maylands’ newest art gallery, Ferguson Foundry.
For more information
See our Seventh Avenue Bridge Flickr Album for digitised images and other digitised information.