Shearn Memorial Park has been known as Maylands Public Reserve and Maylands Oval.
In 1917, it was Maylands Public Reserve, a pretty well-grassed public oval with a natural elevated area for spectators. The Perth Road Board had purchased the area for 600 pounds.
Maylands Oval opened in November 1924.
In 1951, the Perth Road Board decided Maylands Oval should be renamed Shearn Park in memory of the late Mr H V Shearn, who had been the Member for Maylands in the Legislative Assembly for the 15 years prior to his death earlier in the year.
Spectators can still sit high above the playing level to view cricket matches at this park.
By 2017, the City of Bayswater had added Shearn Park to the North Maylands Character Protection Area.
See our Shearn Memorial Park Flickr Album for digitised images and other digitised information.