It was named after the Tranby, the ship chartered by the Clarkson brothers to bring some farmers from Hull to the Swan River Colony.
On 3 February 1830, the brothers Joseph and John Hardey and 22 other settlers (all Methodists) arrived at Fremantle in the brig Tranby. The Hardeys built three houses on the Maylands Peninsula, but the first two were wattle and daub (mud) houses that were washed away by floods. The third house built in 1836 is the one now known as Tranby House.
A flour mill was built on a stump behind the house.
Tranby House/Peninsula Farm is now managed by the National Trust of Western Australia, which acquired the house in 1975.
The English oak trees associated with Tranby House have been classified by the National Trust and listed as Heritage Place 4387.
For more information
- digitised images and other digitised information in our Tranby House/Peninsula Farm Flickr Album and our Hardey family Flickr Album, and
- 0ur Association’s displays including a Peter Rohan sketch of Tranby House and commemorative crockery with an image of Tranby House.