Post-war migration period
De Lacy Reserve was being developed in the 1950s. The site was previously a swamp known as Cow Dung Swamp, but it filled with water in the winter, and was a great swimming hole for the kids. On the west side was a sand hill, which was pushed into the swamp to fill it. There were quite a few commercial sand pits in this area of the Maylands Peninsula.
In 1954, the timber Seventh Avenue Bridge was extensively modified. Concrete columns and structural steel were added.
The Maylands Aerodrome served as Perth’s main airport servicing all kinds of aircraft and even flying boats until it ceased operations on 30 June. The Federal Government sold the land to the West Australian Government at a reduced price for Public Recreation and Police purposes. The police were given a management licence for their reserve, originally 25 acres. The Maylands Aerodrome facilities were then converted for use as a training area for the Western Australian Police Service.
The airport moved to the present site of the Perth Airport.