Maylands in the colonial period
From 1830 until about 1900, the Peninsula area was known as Peninsula Farm and famous for the agricultural products it grew to support the developing city of Perth.
The boating parties of Captain Stirling passed through a shallow passage to the Perth water, and then on to Maylands, and the upper Swan.
Within a few months of the founding of the Swan River Colony in 1829, the Peninsula area was settled and farmed by the Tranby Settlers, led by Joseph Hardey.
Floods destroyed the two residences Joseph Hardey constructed before the current Tranby House was built in 1830.
Hardey and his family were soon well established both as farmers, and as devout and active leaders of the Methodist Church. They eventually owned all the land on the Peninsula. The Peninsula produced many fine crops of corn, wheat fruit and wine, taking prizes in the Melbourne show for dried fruit and wine.
Joseph’s son Richard established the Peninsular Brick Co on the southern tip of their land.
1880s and 1890s
A rail line from Perth to Midland was built in the 1880s and a new railway station was built in 1900 to support the Mephan Ferguson pipeworks established around 1898 to manufacture pipes for the Goldfields Pipeline. The factory and railway led more people to move to the Maylands area.
Having access to the rail line and cheap land available for affordable housing helped Maylands develop as a family area. Shops were built in Railway Terrace (later renamed Whatley Crescent) from 1898, and the shopping area then extended into Eighth Avenue and Guildford Road.
W.A. Home Teaching Society for the Blind established
The Blind Institute’s foundation stone was laid on 17 December
The Blind Institute took up residence in a new building in 1900.
When the Peninsular Brick Co. ceased production around 1900, its land and machinery was sold to Mills Pottery, a Melbourne Company that wanted to establish itself in Western Australia. An efficient pottery manufacturing business was soon established using clay from the local pit mixed with imported material. As roads were so sandy, the river was still extensively used for transport of materials and products to Perth and Fremantle.